Monday, June 28, 2004

JEWISH SCHOLARS IN IRAQ: I've posted the following e-mail to the IraqCrisis list.
I am surprised and rather concerned that there has been no reply to the query below from 4 June by Arthur Houghton. I would think that the second question, and that's the one that really concerns me, ought to be easy to answer, i.e., "Of course Jewish scholars will be able to work in Iraq on the same basis as anyone else." I don't care what past policies were under the Baathists, but I do care that they be gotten right now.

I realize that things must be hectic at present, especially with the transfer of sovereignty bumped up to today without warning. But perhaps Zainab Bahrani could make inquiries and get us an official answer to the question as quickly as possible? This is an issue that should not be lost sight of.

Thanks,

Jim Davila
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/hebrew-jewish/ijs/news.htm

Would anyone be able to comment on the accuracy of the allegations that underlie this article, in particular a) whether the letter cited exists in fact and b) that Jewish scholars may not be permitted to work in Iraq?

Thank you.

Arthur Houghton


Regular readers will recall that this issue was discussed on PaleoJudaica earlier in the month in this post. I'll let you know when I get a response.

No comments:

Post a Comment