Saturday, February 11, 2006

ENOCHIAN MAGIC figures in the season finale (link has spoilers) of Sea of Souls, a British television series about parapsychologists at a University in Glasgow. I just watched the episode. Enochian magic is only mentioned once, but it's presented as the centerpiece of the occult theme of the show. Paul McGann (who played the eighth Doctor Who in the 1996 movie) appears as a suitably intimidating Enochian magician.

I know very little about the modern occult and alchemical traditions, so I don't know if the presentation was accurate. On general principles I rather doubt it, and certainly a lot of other stuff was mixed in. But, that said, the mentions of Fulcanelli sounded correct, and the final interpretation of the sacrifice did seem to capture a central value of the system(s) as I understand it. A couple of years ago I posted some links on Enochian magic here. Please note the warning label if you are squeamish about such things.

The episode was credulous for my taste, but it made for an entertaining story.

No comments:

Post a Comment