Wednesday, April 22, 2009

ROBERT ALTER is receiving an award for his biblical literary criticism and translations:
Poetic Master of Biblical Translation Receives Award

(JewishJournal.com)

Robert Alter is the 2009 recipient of the Robert Kirsch Award, a lifetime achievement award named after my late father and given each year by the Los Angeles Times. It will be my honor to hand the award to Alter, a role I have been asked to perform on a few memorable occasions over the years. But never before have I discharged my duties with a greater sense of pleasure, admiration and enthusiasm. Alter is, as I once wrote in a review of his work in the L.A. Times, “one of the living masters of biblical criticism and translation.”

[...]
Alter's translations of the Torah/Pentateuch and Psalms have been mentioned frequently in PaleoJudaica.