Friday, March 11, 2011

Edward Ullendorf, R.I.P.

EDWARD ULLENDORFF, R.I.P.
Edward {Ullendorff} Professor Emeritus of Semitic Languages and of Ethiopian Studies, SOAS, London University; Fellow of the British Academy and Foreign Fellow of the Accademia dei Lincei, Rome. Hon Fellow, SOAS; Hon Fellow, OCHJS. He died peacefully on 6th March 2011, much loved and loving husband of Dina for 67 years. Funeral private; no letters, no flowers, please, but donations if wished to the Oxford Centre for Hebrew Studies, Yarnton Manor, Oxford OX5 1PY. A Memorial Service to be announced later.

Published in The Times on March 10, 2011
Before going to SOAS, Professor Ullendorff was Reader in Semitic Languages at the University of St. Andrews. (There's more information on his career at his Wikipedia page here.) I met him once, briefly, I think at a Dead Sea Scrolls conference at Oxford in 1997. I remember we talked about A. M. Honeyman, another of my predecessors at St. Andrews.