Friday, August 14, 2026

Non-Semitic Loanwords in the Hebrew Bible

PHILOLOGY: Speaking of Eisenbrauns, at the JewishLink, Mitchell First has a two-part profile of selected words covered in Non-Semitic Loanwords in the Hebrew Bible: A Lexicon of Language Contact, by Benjamin Noonan (Eisenbrauns, 2019).

Non-Semitic Loanwords in Tanach

In Noonan’s view, there are over 200 non-Semitic loanwords in Tanach and he discusses each one. You will be very surprised at some of the words he includes. In this column, I am limiting myself to discussing words he included that begin with א (and I have only discussed a small portion of them). About 20% of his entries begin with א.
Non-Semitic Loanwords in Tanach. Part II
In Noonan’s view, there are over 200 non-Semitic loanwords in Tanach and he discusses each one. Last week, I limited myself to discussing words he included that begin with א (and I only discussed a small portion of them). This week, I am surveying ב through ח, and only including a portion of his entries. Note also that most loanwords are nouns.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.