Wednesday, November 23, 2005

SBL CARG-BLOGGING-SESSION ROUNDUP: Here's a list of all the blog posts I could find in which people who attended the session commented on it.

In addition, some bloggers who weren't able to be present added their comments:

If I've missed some, please e-mail me so I can add them.

My own thoughts? I don't know why there are so few female bibliobloggers, and I hope this changes whatever the reasons, but I did find opaque Paul Nikkel's theory, raised in the discussion and supported by Yasmin Finch, that it had to do with our naming ourselves and some of us suggesting things bibliobloggers should and shouldn't do. Perhaps I am misunderstanding their point and they will comment on their blogs. For the record (and I really don't think this should need to be said), first, I -- and I'm sure all other "bibliobloggers" -- would welcome more females on the biblioblog-roll and I hope any considering opening a blog will take the plunge. Second, if you (whatever your gender) do start a blog having to do with academic biblical studies, I encourage you to write whatever the heck you want to on it and to make up and follow your own rules, and if one of us tells you to do or not do one thing or another, just take this as well-intended advice that you can follow, modify, or ignore, entirely as it pleases you. That's what I do.

Torrey wishes that we had talked more about the future of blogging and I agree that it would have been nice if we had. Frankly, I just forgot about the issue at the time. I predict that over the next couple of years the exponential increase in the number of biblioblogs will continue. Aside from that, Torrey's idea of organizing blogs on specific topics in biblical studies sounds interesting, but it also sounds like work, so I'll leave others to do this if they want to. I'm a great fan of emergent order, so I suspect that something like this will happen over time of its own accord, and that may be the best way to bring it about. (I see now that I have already expressed similar thoughts here.) Long-term, as I've said before, I predict that blogging and other forms of online publishing will grow more and more user friendly and more and more people will develop a personal media voice.

Aside from that, I am very glad that code warriors like Rick Brannan are continuing to refine blogging software and I look forward to benefitting from their work as it becomes code-wimp friendly.

Finally, in response to Danny, I chose most of the examples in my paper from the blogs run by the bloggers on the panel. That was mainly because I only had time to do a thorough review of a limited number of blogs and those seemed the obvious ones to concentrate on for the session. But you all should certainly look at the other blogs Danny mentions and many others besides. By the way, Danny, when you recommend a site, why not link to it in your post?

UPDATE: Cynthia Edenburg e-mails:
I commented once to Joe Cathey that the answer is simple. When I'm at work, I should be working, and at OpenU that involves a lot of papers to read (each student completes 3-5 written assignments per semester, and this semester I have 40 students). When at home, I'm still reading papers, doing virtually all the housework and shopping, providing emotional support for husband and three children, two of whom are old enough to move out, taking my mother to health providers, and when I have some spare time, I try to devote them to completing the translation of my dissertation into English for publication. Oh, did I forget to mention trying to make time for managing a social life and hosting dinners, which is important to my husband?

Y'know, I really wouldn't want to be married to a biblioblogger myself!

UPDATE: Maria Doerfler, who was at the blogging session and who in an e-mail identifies herself as being "in the fringes of the biblio-blogging sphere" comments on the session here. Perhaps I should note that there was at least one other female blogger (although not a biblioblogger) in the audience: Yasmin Finch. (UPDATE [24 Nov]: I had recalled Yasmin saying she wasn't a biblioblogger, but perhaps I misheard or misremembered. She doesn't seem to take a position one way or the other in the bullet-pointed post in the list above.)

UPDATE (24 November): I've added Maria's post and several others to the list above.

UPDATE (26 November): Still more added. Note especially the second post (or go here) by Mark Goodacre ([27 Nov] the third one too). And I have more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment