Friday, February 12, 2021

Reports: road works damage Mount Ebal altar complex

LEEN RITMEYER: The destruction of the site of Joshua’s altar on Mount Ebal. There have been reports, with video, of damage to the site in recent news. And today there is this update: In Clandestine Operation Samaria Settlers Rebuild Joshua’s Altar Destroyed by Palestinian Authority (David Israel, The Jewish Press). To be clear, the altar was not damaged. The reports say that there was damage to the wall of the complex.

I have seen the video, but I am not qualified to evaluate it. I have not seen comments on the situation from the Israel Antiquties Authority. The area is not under their jurisdiction, but I image they would be interested.

PaleoJudaica posts involving the Iron Age I altar on Mount Ebal (which may or may not have anything to do with Joshua) are here, here, and here.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.