Monday, December 17, 2018

The Ark of the Covenant isn't in Ethiopia?

THAT ZANY ARK AGAIN: Sorry Indiana Jones, the Ark of the Covenant Is Not Inside This Ethiopian Church (Owen Jarus, Live Science).

I'm not sure that what Edward Ullendorf recalled seeing in 1941 necessarily disproves that the Ark of the Covenant is in that church. But at the same time there isn't anything that proves it and I remain cordially skeptical. Incidentally, the late Professor Ullendorf was one of my predecessors at the University of St Andrews.

I have mentioned Professor Tudor Parfitt in connection with another, comparably questionable Ark tradition, this one placing it in Zimbabwe. See here and here and follow all the links.

And while we're on the subject of legends about the Ark of the Covenant, I may as well give myself some publicity: The Treatise of the Vessels in the news.

And for still more posts on the Ark, see here and here and follow those links.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.