Saturday, April 06, 2019

The Seleucid Coins, Part 4

NUMISMATICS: CoinWeek Ancient Coin Series – The Seleucids and Their Coins: Part IV (Mike Markowitz).

My knowledge of the Seleucid dynasty starts to fizzle out in this period. I assume I am not noticing everything interesting for ancient Judaism in this article. It scarcely helps that so many of them were named Antiochus, and even Antiochus Epiphanes. But that's just me. It's a good article with lots of coin images of the various rulers and you should have a look.

Alexander I Balas appears in 1 Maccabees 10 as "Alexander Epiphanes." And the article notes that Josephus mentioned Demetrius III.

That concludes this series of articles. For comments on parts 1-3, see here and links.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.