Wednesday, July 31, 2019

On the high-tech future of archaeology

TECHNOLOGY WATCH: The High-Tech Future of the Ancient Science of Archaeology. Emerging technologies could soon allow archaeologists to virtually excavate an entire site within an hour (Sarah Parcak, OneZero).
This is an excellent article about the technological future of archaeology. I have been saying similar things for years. My only criticism is that the projections are very cautious and conservative. I expect archaeology to achieve this level of technology before 2050. By 2100, and probably well before, archaeologists will be carrying out a molecular scan of the earth's entire surface.

For more on Professor Parcak's work on technological archaeology (using drones and satellite imagery), see here and links. I have some related comments and links in my 2016 post, On curating the past.

Cross-file under The Singularity is Near.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.