Monday, January 11, 2021

Claus-Hunno Hunzinger (1929-2021)

SAD NEWS: Last member of original Dead Sea Scrolls research team dies from COVID-19. The Qumran explorer was 91 years old (Hannah Brown, Jerusalem Post).
The last living member of the Dead Sea Scrolls research team, Prof. Dr. Claus-Hunno Hunzinger, died on January 6 in Hamburg.

[...]

His German Wikipedia page is here. As of this writing, it has not been updated to indicate his passing.

Requiescat in pace.

I noted the deaths of John Strugnell in 2007 and Frank Moore Cross in 2012 (additional memories here). Cross was my doctoral supervisor at Harvard University and I also worked closely with Strugnell.

I also noted the death of J. T. Milik in 2006. I never met Milik or Hunzinger.

The original International Team are all gone now. The end of an era.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.