Thursday, May 26, 2022

Phoenician shipwrecks: "They Are Ours!"

PHOENICIAN WATCH: They Are Ours: Mazarron fights to keep Phoenician ships in the Murcia coastal town. Mazarrón's Department of Historical Heritage is collecting signatures to ensure the Mazarrón I and II remain in the municipality (Mazzaron Today).
A concerted effort is being made by Mazarrón Council to keep the Phoenician ships, Mazarrón I and II, which were discovered in 1994 and 1995 respectively off the coast of the La Isla beach, with the launch of a petition.

Announcing the 'They Are Ours!' ('¡Son nuestros!') campaign, which is supported by all groups represented in the Town Hall, Mazarrón's Mayor Gaspar Miras demanded that the Phoenician wreck Mazarrón II return to the town after its excavation and restoration in Cartagena alongside Mazarrón I for conservation and exhibition.

It's refreshing to see so much enthusiasm for ancient relics. I hope Mazarrón and Cartagena can reach an amicable settlement of this dispute.

For more on the Mazarrón I, currently being restored in Cartagena, see here. I didn't know about the Mazarrón II.

Cross-file under Marine (Maritime, Underwater) Archaeology. For more PaleoJudaica posts on ancient shipwrecks, see here and links, here, and here.

UPDATE (22 June 2023): I have corrected some confusion above about which ship is which above. I did know about the Mazarrón II. See here. The variable spelling of Mazarrón/Mazzarón seems to have thrown me off.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.