TOPIC for PSCO 42 (2004-2005):
Thank you for your responses regarding the topic for the coming year (PSCO 42). It was an unusually close contest, but in the end, the Astrological proposal pulled away for a decisive victory. Please let Sarah Schwarz (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Todd Krulak (email@example.com) know of any suggestions you may have for topics and participants (including yourselves).
The results of the voting are as follows, with 28 total responses, but some voters giving only their top choice or choices (rather than a ranked list of all three):
1. The Impact of Astrological (and related) Traditions on Early Jewish and Early Christian Perspectives (Sarah Schwarz and Todd Krulak are willing to serve)
- 13 first place, 5 second, 6 third (4 unranked).
2. Stoic Influences on Early Jewish and Early Christian Developments (Howard Kee and Harry Tolley are willing to serve as co-chairs)
- 9 first place, 8 second place, 6 third (5 unranked);
3. An Updated Electronic English Version of Harnack's Mission and Expansion of Early Christianity, incorporating the new materials from the 1924 German edition and updating as appropriate (e.g. more recent archaeological evidence)
-- 8 first place, 7 second, 6 third (7 unranked).
For further information on the PSCO, please go to
Robert A. Kraft, Religious Studies, University of Pennsylvania
227 Logan Hall (Philadelphia PA 19104-6304); tel. 215 898-5827
Thursday, April 29, 2004
PSCO UPDATE: A couple of days ago Bob Kraft sent an e-mail to the PSCO list (Philadelphia Seminar on Christian Origins) and Ioudaios-L which included the following information on the topic for 2004-2005: