Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Career retrospective: Sidnie White Crawford

ANCIENT JEW REVIEW: Retrospective | My Journey with the Dead Sea Scrolls (Sidnie White Crawford).
I have always acknowledged that the Dead Sea Scrolls have been very good to me. I was very fortunate, as a young graduate student, to have the opportunity to work on the Scrolls at the moment when scrolls scholarship was breaking open. I was also fortunate to work with a close circle of fine colleagues, who freely shared ideas and supported each other’s work.[14] The Dead Sea Scrolls captured my intellectual interest very early in my development as a scholar, and they have held it ever since.
Professor Crawford and I were PhD students of Frank Moore Cross at the same time in the 1980s.

I noted a review of her 2019 book, Scribes and Scrolls at Qumran, here. Last year she published another book, The Text of the Pentateuch, with De Gruyter, noted here.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.