Sunday, January 12, 2020

Adam Kirsch's Daf Yomi column concludes.

THE FINAL DAF YOMI COLUMN BY ADAM KIRSCH IN TABLET: Did ‘Daf Yomi’ Make Me a Better Jew?

The last Daf Yomi cycle began on 1 August of 2012. I noted it here with various links. On 9 August I noted the inception of Mr. Kirsch's column here. As far as I can recall, I linked to each of them through the whole cycle. The most recent one is here. Follow the links back for the rest, often with some comments by me.

Meanwhile, for the current cycle, which began on 4 January of this year, Tablet has a new Daf Yomi project. It is a daily podcast called Take One. It aims to comment on each page of the Talmud throughout the cycle. I don't have time to follow it, although I may dip into it now and again. I have linked to the first episode. You can find all the episodes listed, along with Adam Kirsch's columns, on Tablet's Daf Yomi page.

I am very grateful to Adam for all his hard labor over the last seven-and-a-half years in working through the entire Talmud in English and summarizing so many of the interesting parts for his readers. I am not a Talmudist and never will be, but I feel much better informed about the Talmud after following his column. I wish him the best for his future projects.