Friday, August 28, 2026

How did Prof. Marc Zvi Brettler change his mind?

SYMPOSIUM: I CHANGED MY MIND: How to Read “The” Bible? (Prof. Marc Zvi Brettler, TheTorah.com).
In 2005, I published How to Read the Bible, where I made the sustained argument for the historical-critical method is the way to understand the Hebrew Bible. Soon after it came out, an acquaintance of mine said to me: “I enjoyed your book, but its title shows real chutzpah, even arrogance. It is claiming that your way, following a specific set of academic ‘rules,’ is the way, the only way to read the Bible.”

I still think about this comment from twenty years ago. And in these two intervening decades I have changed my mind, even on the level of title.

[...]

For more on the series, see here.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.